I know I’m not alone. I know a lot of you in the communication field and others are going through major transitions, too. Some of these are voluntary, some not, some probably a shock to the system. I’ve been in all those transition situations, too. Times are volatile and our profession, as it is in an influencer function rather than a controlling one in business, can be buffeted according to the whims and conditions of our companies.
With transition being a fact of life, I've found that it’s worth adopting a few strategies for dealing. Here are a few of mine that I’ve found helpful over the years –
Jaya's Tips for Transition
1. Detach. Become an observer. Staying involved yet outside is a skill worth cultivating for now and later. That’s not to say it’s not personal – if it’s happening to you, it’s impacting you on a personal level – it is personal to you! 2. 2. Maintain perspective. Don’t let the situation have more significance than it should. You are still you. You are bigger and better than any one situation.
3. Retain power. Ultimately you are the single most important decisionmaker in what happens to you. You control what happens next.
4. Take care of yourself. Time off is a gift. Use it wisely. Soak up the sun. Exercise. Eat wisely and well. Focus on your physical health so your emotional and mental health can be supported.
5. Stay in touch with professional friends and contacts but do that according to your own preferences and styles. If you’re an extrovert, you’re likely going to find more comfort and support in being around people. If you’re more an introvert or somewhere in the middle, you’ll want plenty of time on your own to reflect, journal, line up your next moves internally before going public with those thoughts. Just be aware of your preferences and what truly energizes you.
6. Find beauty in your situation, whatever it is. Much easier said than done, I realize. I believe, to quote the Rolling Stones, that even if
“you can’t always get what you want...you get what you need.”Maybe you didn’t think you wanted this transition, this time, this space – you probably need it though.
Any other lessons learned, tips for transition? I'd love to hear! Thanks and talk to you soon,
Jaya
No comments:
Post a Comment